Skip to forum content

You are not logged in. Please login or register.

forums.pvpgn.pro → [EN] Tech Support → pvpgn can connect internal but not external

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

RSS topic feed

Topic: pvpgn can connect internal but not external

I have pvpgn setup on my machine and can connect w/ both open and closed from the same machine that pvpgn is running on.

I've opened up my firewall and set up port forwarding in my router.

I had all of my friends use the gateway editor to add my server ip address.

None of my friends can connect to my server. I don't see any messages in the logs of attempted connections. Their screens say "Connecting to fastest server" and then eventually they get a "Could not connect".

I verified that my friends could ping my ip address.

Where should I look to address this issue?

I tried changing bnetd.conf servaddrs to "internalIP,externalIP", but I get an error in pvpgn that it couldn't bind to my external IP.

Thanks for the help in advance, I know I'm close to having this working.

Re: pvpgn can connect internal but not external

Sounds like port forwarding issue. Go to Canyouseeme.org and put in your ports that you think are forwarded and see what it says.

andrew.w.boutin wrote:

I have pvpgn setup on my machine and can connect w/ both open and closed from the same machine that pvpgn is running on.

None of my friends can connect to my server. I don't see any messages in the logs of attempted connections. Their screens say "Connecting to fastest server" and then eventually they get a "Could not connect".

I tried changing bnetd.conf servaddrs to "internalIP,externalIP", but I get an error in pvpgn that it couldn't bind to my external IP.

andrew.w.boutin wrote:

Hey there. Always set the ip in the config to the local machines up address. A good tool is canyouseeme.org and with your server online try port 6112. Did you check your router firewall?

I've temporarily disabled my firewall on my machine.

I set up port forwarding in my router firewall.

This is what I get from canyouseeme.org:

Error: I could not see your service on x.x.x.x on port (6112)
Reason: No route to host

andrew.w.boutin wrote:

It maybe in your isps hands then I know in the us at the isp I had to call them to get a static IP address to be able to host

Krystals wrote:
andrew.w.boutin wrote:

It maybe in your isps hands then I know in the us at the isp I had to call them to get a static IP address to be able to host

you don't need a static external to be able to host. Your port forwarding is not setup correctly or your server configs are incorrect. Double check everything to make sure! Also make sure your external IP hasn't changed since you made your custom .reg file for your clients.

Added: 03.04.2018 22:26

If the client can connect to your server from localhost,but not from an outside network, it is related to either firewall or your port forwarding. Are.you running in a vm? Make sure your network adapter is in bridged mode if so.

You should upload your config files & error logs so we can take a look.

But going from what others have said - and from previous experience setting up a lot of these servers - it is normally a firewall or port forwarding issue. Have you done a simple restart after applying all these firewall rules and such?

If you don't feel comfortable uploading your configs publicly, please PM them to me.

Owner of SlashDiablo - One of the oldest and most well known Diablo II servers
Admin of Resurgence - Vanilla++ mod
Co-Founder of Hellforged - Diablo 09 built on 1.13 engine (current work in progress)
Founder of Diablo2.org - Dedicated Discord server for PvPGN/D2GS questions

Sorry everyone I had my internal ip off slightly in my router port forwarding (I had an existing rule set up from when my internal ip was different than now and it looked the same at a glance so I ended up re-using the wrong numbers). Verified port forwarding works w/ a web service I ran on a different port. To rule out d2 config.

Have to wait for my friends to get online tonight to test out connecting to pvpgn. I was able to use a web service to attempt to talk to port 6112 and I saw the event in my pvpgn server logs so that's a good sign.

Hopefully no more issues. Thanks for the quick responses and help everyone.

FYI

Not running in a VM.
Also spoke with xfinity and verified they weren't blocking ports.
Checked modem - not wifi capable - so not port forwarding config there.
I did restart my machine and router after making these changes.

Question

custom .reg file

What's this? Is this what is produced from using the gateway editor?

TBH I've never had to do port forwarding on my own hosted servers. Generally only when setting them up for other people on their home networks.

If you want to PM me with your IP address, I can connect my stealthbot to it and see if it works.

Co-Founder of Hellforged - Diablo 09 built on 1.13 engine (current work in progress)

10 (edited by Feofilaktt 04.04.2018 17:49)

andrew.w.boutin wrote:

custom .reg file

What's this? Is this what is produced from using the gateway editor?

Yes, you can create it through a gateway manager like BNetEditor.

aims to help your players quickly register their gateway address without having to use a manager for it.

Diablo 2 Online

Itens - Armory - Market - Clans - Builds - Chat

My friends were able to connect with open server (other multiplayer - open battle.net). Able to create accounts/characters. Chat. Create/join games. All works as expected with firewall on machine and router turned back on.

Attempted private server mode. Friend's account still worked and was able to connect to the realm. They weren't able to create a character. After waiting some time they got an error suggesting a firewall was blocking them.

Does any particular config file setting jump out to anyone for this behavior?

Nearly impossible to tell without an error message as I've never seen anything that 'seems' like a firewall error blocking it.

But from what it sounds like, your D2CS isn't setup correctly. Like I suggested earlier, you PM me your config files.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Who now at forum

Currently view post: 0 guests, 0 registered users

forums.pvpgn.pro → [EN] Tech Support → pvpgn can connect internal but not external